I woke up this morning like I do every other morning, annoyed at my alarm and wondering how on earth I was expected to get myself out of my nice warm bed so early when I was still so groggy. I turned off the alarm and started to close my eyes, but then I remembered last night.
President Obama. Repeat that a few times. President Obama. What a nice ring that phrase has to it.
Last night I heard that a lot. I watched the election results roll slowly in at a friend's apartment on 127th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue in Harlem. We spent most of our time making fun of the various pundits and Republicans on the screen, all nervous but optimistic. Then, around 11:00, the screen flashed an announcement: Barack Obama Elected the 44th President of the United States.
And the street outside erupted into noise. We ran to the window to look out and saw huge crowds of people pouring out of their buildings, yelling, running, screaming, crying, hugging, banging on pots and pans and drums and bells, skipping, jumping, laughing. Cars were going by with their horns blaring, with people hanging out of windows and sticking out of sun roofs. FIrecrackers were going off nearby. The noise was almost deafening.
After McCain's concession speech (which was marvelous, by the way; if he'd conducted his campaign as smoothly and kindly, or even been able to deliver speeches that well along, last night might have gone very differently), Connor and I took to the streets. We walked down to 125th, past the Apollo, where everyone was taking photographs of the Marquee: "Congratulations, President-Elect Barack Obama," and through the throngs of people celebrating in every way. There were few police around, and people were running shirtless toward the gathering at the jumbotron on Frederick Douglass Boulevard, hugging strangers, pouring drinks, lighting up who-knows-what cigarettes.
When we finally got to the square, the streets were literally mobbed. Police officers were letting the occasional vehicle through the crowds, but were helpless to keep people off the streets signs, fire hydrants, traffic signal posts, windowsills, and every other available surface. There were people with random musical instruments walking through the crowd, and Obama's face was everywhere, on posters and shirts and hats and stickers and buttons and flyers. And everywhere the word "Obama" was coming out of mouths.
We watched the victory speech in awe, unable to hear much of what was said over the yelling and banging of pots, pans, drums, and other percussives, cheering now and then, letting the intermittent rain hit our faces. Above us, on a sign post, people were beating against the Frederick Douglass Boulevard sign and climbing up the one-way arrows. Behind me, someone said, "Oh my GOD. My President is BLACK."
We were tired and knew it would take a while to get home, so after the speech we left the crowd, herded about by police officers at every step. We walked 20 blocks north to catch a bus at 145th street, and the whole way there people were dancing in the streets, hugging strangers, laughing and crying with joy. Even when we got on the bus at 12:45 am, the passengers were speaking of nothing but our new President.
I was so exhausted by the time I got home that I passed out almost immediately. The excitement of the night, after the long, tense, worried day had drained the last of my energy. I went to sleep knowing that I had just been a part of something gigantic and earth-shaking, and I doubt I will ever see or hear anything like it again. I have never seen so many people so happy. Ever.
I woke up this morning feeling more subdued, but still on my way to work, and even now, I haven't been able to stop smiling. The jubilation has calmed - we must now look ahead to some of the most difficult times we have ever seen in this country. But a new day has dawned, and in it, no matter how hard things get, I think there will be HOPE. I can't remember a time when I felt this country was so full of promise, and I think that many people my age will agree. We have been mired in a torpor of laziness and apathy for a long time. We have been uninspired by our leaders our whole lives and never even thought to look to them as Good Men in whom we could place trust or emotion, much less derive inspiration. But now we've been woken up. I hope. Time will tell.
Le Gross National Happiness
16 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment