Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Spring in the city!

It's just lovely out today, which is welcome after a few days of unseasonably cool weather, and everyone is out in their favorite spring dresses and shorts and flip-flops and such. This morning, getting on a crowded 5 train in the Bronx, I was stuck behind a very tall, large (big-boned, shall we say) woman who seemed excessively awkward while stepping into the car. She was in flip-flops and a light brown cotton sun dress, and I vaguely resented her for probably having her day planned around lounging in the park and going shopping while I had to sit inside the gallery and not even see the sunlight. I was annoyed and thought some vaguely mean thought about this woman, then forgot all about her once I got in and got a spot. However, at the the next stop I managed to nab a seat and found myself sitting facing her from across the car while she stood in the doorway.

I noticed her feet - they were huge. Which made sense, I supposed, given her height and breadth. But they were nicely pedicured. Whatever.

I turned to my book and read for a few minutes before the strangest voice broke through my reverie - it was like a Monty Python member dressed up as a granny kind of voice, but minus the British accent.

I looked up again and realized the tall awkward girl was in fact a very tall man in a strawberry blonde wig that did not in any way compliment his complexion. But I immediately liked her more than I had - you go, girl!

2 days till I leave for a short vacation on the beach! Wahooooooo!

2 comments:

  1. hmmmmm. I think that if you are going to wear a wig you should go in one of two directions; either very careful to make it look natural, or very careful to make it look like something that could never possibly in a million years be mistaken for natural. Anything in the middle is just equivocating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahem. You are going to the beach??? I am envious.
    I am also envious of all who get to enjoy the gorgeous weather -- as a nanny I enjoyed Tuesdays and Wednesdays (off) and gorgeous days (where I could be outside with the baby) immeasurably. Now...I'm just pale and bitter.

    ReplyDelete