Friday, July 31, 2009

Some Dudes are A-Holes: Exhibit C



The other day I went to the grocery store on my way home and then proceeded to walk down Melrose avenue, weighed down by my purse and several bags, hot and sticky and feeling full of malicious contempt for everything around me, when I walked by two guys in the middle of a conversation on the corner near my house.

They were young and, one would think, had stuff to do or at least to talk about. But when I walkd by, one of them stopped talking in the middle of the conversation and made a kissy face at me, complete with lip-smacking noises.

Dumbfounded by this audacious display of uncouthe stupidity, I ignored him and kept walking. He paused for a moment, then turned to follow me with his face, and started up again with the kissy face and noises. This continued until I had crossed the street and turned the corner.

I just... I can't imagine in what world that seemed like a good idea to him. Did he think I would throw myself into his arms shouting "I love it when men make ridiculous faces at me and demean me publicly!"? Or was he just trying to be an A-hole? Cause he sure succeeded in that endeavor. But the issue I have with this idea is that as far as I can tell, the point of making fun of or otherwise demeaning another person is to make oneself look comparatively better. But this guy was standing on a street corner puffing up his face like a fish and making stupid noises. I fail to see how that gives him the upper hand, or, alternately, sex appeal.

I'm befuddled.

But also, dude was being an A-hole.

1 comment:

  1. I have no cute quip for that one. Some guys just find it easy to be A-holes.

    ReplyDelete