I'm a little unable to put up a blog post today. I was, of course, going to write about my deep and wild excitement about the fact that we not only have a new president who is NOT George W. Bush, but that we have a new president that's not Bush who is a really awesome guy. But I'm feeling a little disenchanted at the moment, since I was planning to watch the inaugural ceremonies streaming live on my computer at work, and instead was treated to chopped up sound bites and frozen pictures on my screen, no matter what website I tried to use. Seriously, throughout the ceremonies, when everyone I work with was crowded around a TV twenty feet away from me and behind a door, I was trying MSNBC, CBS, Huffington Post, Wonkette, New York One, and Hulu in succession to see if any of them would work on my ancient and grumpy computer. But none did. So I got a few good screenshots of Obama talking, each of which stuck on my monitor for a good fifteen seconds before getting replaced with a snapshot of some random person in the crowd waving a flag and two seconds of confusing noise. Ugh.
So I'm a little disappointed and way less excited than I was this morning. I'm going to wait to go home to try watching it again, this time on a better connection and faster computer. And then maybe tomorrow I'll have something to blog about.
Stupid work computer. Interfering with my experience of historical moments. Grumble.
Le Gross National Happiness
17 years ago


It may not have been your comp. So many people were trying to watch online that the internets were very bogged down. Cell networks were also a bitch due to all the calls/messages coming and going.
ReplyDeleteI do highly recommend find a vid or transcript of his speech tomorrow. A lot of commentators were not that impressed, but I thought it was great. Also, get a vid/transcript of the benediction from the swearing in. It was freaking awesome. I can't remember the name of the guy, but he was a tiny, old black dude.
Also, as a bonus to lessen your crankiness, the transcript of a prayer that was not broadcast but is absolutely amazing: http://www.episcopalcafe.com/lead/faith_and_politics/gene_robinsons_prayer_for_pres.html
Another gem is the crowd singing "Hey, hey, goodbye" as Bush got in his helicopter to fly back to Tx.
:) I had a snow day, so I sat at home all day and watched it.
Are you kidding? You got a SNOW DAY? For WORK? Ohhhhh my goodness I am so angrily jealous right now.
ReplyDeleteI worked from home, but our office was closed.
ReplyDeleteSnow day from work is followed by 10 days of non-stop work in Cincinnati. :(