Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Let's see how this works...

Oh my. The internet is down at the office, and I have left my flash drive at home. So I have, at the moment, absolutely nothing to work on. I could be free-thinking about work on my book, I suppose, or composing brilliant poetry, but I thought it might be fun to freestyle on the blog instead. I’ll just write something up in Word, save it, and post it when the interwebs are back up and running.

So, fun New York adventures: it’s catch-up time!

Firstly, I haven’t actually seen a whole lot of particularly interesting bits lately in the city, and I can’t really imagine why. Perhaps I’ve just been enjoying the fine weather and listening to my fine music too much to be bothered by the craziness going on around me, or perhaps everyone else is so busy doing the same thing that they aren’t putting their usual hardcore effort into being weird. But suffice it to say, the city has been pretty darn normal lately.

I have, however, run across some fun things here and there. For example:

1) On the subway on Monday morning, which was incredibly packed and gave me no choices about where to look except at people’s shirts to avoid eye contact, I spotted a man in a white T-shirt that featured a black and white drawn picture of Chucky. Child’s Play doll, you know, who’s supposed to be wearing a cute little jumper and striped shirt combo? Well, in this picture, he was gangsta. Puerto Rican gangsta, to be specific. Headband tied in a knot, big T-shirt, bling necklace, and sagging pants. I couldn’t help but laugh. Dude, the whole reason that Chucky is scary is that he looks like a sweet innocent child but is actually evil. Chucky as a Crip… not so scary.

2) Last night I had my first run-in with a restaurant that served $6 Vietnamese rice vermicelli bowls – delish! – but also had shark fin on the menu. I wasn’t sure what to do. I can’t support shark fin. But I sure as hell support rice vermicelli! I just got the curried shrimp with coconut milk over noodles and resolved not to ever go back there. So sad.

3) On Sunday morning I got up at 6:00 am, after a rooftop party in Queens and a late-night kitty visit at Kate’s, to do a homeless model photo shoot. It was way fun. I’m going to try to post a few of the photos here via Model Mayhem but you may have to have an account to see them – let me know if they don’t work and I’ll try another route:



2 comments:

  1. who's that lady? oooo, sexy lady!

    even with shit all over you, you are a stone cold fox! and in black and white you look even more homeless than you do in full technicolor.

    also, those are some kickin pants mofo! where ever did you get them? all the homeless broads i know are totes jealous of your indigent fashion sense.

    ReplyDelete